|Ph.D. in Computer Graphics and Image Processing from Linköping University, LiU||Supervisor: Professor Ken Museth|
Cell: +46 (0) 739 - 604 603
Digital Domain, Los Angeles, USA.
Pos.: Software R&D, intern, 2007
| Centre of mathematics for applications (CMA), University of Oslo, Norway.|
Pos.: Guest researcher, 2006, 2008
The title of my thesis is “Level-Set Methods & Geodesic Distance Functions” and deals mainly with algorithmic and mathematical aspects of geometric modelling, computational geometry and physically based simulation. For examples see the bunny figures above.
The level-set method is a form of grid-based implicit surface representation with an additional toolbox of mathematics. Look at wikipedia for an introduction, or see this book for a state-of-the-art review of the area.
I like to work with graphics from a scientific and mathematical point of view but I also take an active interest in artistic creation.
Projects and publications
Compression and out-of-core techniques for level sets showing examples of unprecedented size. Applications taking advantage thereof.
- “Out-of-core and Compressed Level Set Methods”, M. Nielsen, O. Nilsson, A. Söderström and K. Museth, ACM Transaction On Graphics, 2007. [PDF]
- “Virtually Infinite Resolution Deformable Surfaces”, M. Nielsen, O. Nilsson, A. Söderström and K. Museth. Proceedings of the SIGGRAPH 2006 Conference on Sketches & Applications. ACM Press. [PDF]
Reconstruction from contours using level sets
- “Surface Reconstruction Via Contour Metamorphosis: An Eularian Approach With Lagrangian Particle Tracking”, O. Nilsson, D. Breen, K. Museth. Proceedings of IEEE Vis 05. [PDF]
Sparse representation of level sets using hierarchical run length encoding of topology
- “Hierarchical RLE level set: A compact and versatile deformable surface representation”, Houston, B, Nielsen, M, Batty, C, Nilsson, O and Museth, K. ACM Transaction On Graphics, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp 1-24, January issue, 2006. [PDF]
- “Gigantic Deformable Surfaces”, Houston, B, Nielsen, M, Batty C, Nilsson, O and Museth, K. (2005). Proceedings of the SIGGRAPH 2005 Conference on Sketches & Applications. ACM Press. [PDF]
“Distributed Ray-Tracing In An Open Source Environment”. (Work In Progress). Johansson, G, Nilsson, O, Söderström, A, and Museth, K. (2006). Proceedings of the SIGRAD 2006 Conference. Linköping University Electronic Press.
- “Distance maps in an arbitrary metric tensor field, An iterative solver for 2-D charts", Ola Nilsson and Anders Brun. Proc. Swedish Symposium in Image Analysis, 2008.
- “Euclidian Distance Transform Algorithms, A Comparative Study”. Nilsson, O and Söderström, A. Technical report. Linköping University Electronic Press. [link]
File parser for assignment code
Level set raytracing
CEL shading for pbrt
The matrix effect - Image rewriting using random rasters
Updated: Feb 12, 2009